PGDE (Postgraduate Diploma in Education) is a program designed to prepare university graduates to become effective teachers in primary, secondary, and higher education institutions. The course is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills required to teach specific subjects in the classroom. The course prepares students for the teaching and learning processes by providing them with professional knowledge and understanding of learners. Students completing the course will also be able to develop both theoretical foundations and critical approaches to making pedagogical judgments and decisions in their roles as teachers. The course covers a wide range of pedagogical skills, professional knowledge, and learner understanding, both theoretical and practical, in order to prepare students to be effective educators. The program prepares them for teaching roles by providing them with advanced knowledge of teaching methods and procedures.
Graduates of the Postgraduate Diploma in Education gain advanced teaching skills that can be applied in secondary and elementary education. Graduates of this program find employment in the educational sector as teachers, administrators, and consultants. They can also participate in policymaking, communication education, scholarships and research.
Table of Contents
Requirements for PGDE in Nigeria and How to Enroll
By the end of the course, you will have gained an advanced understanding of teaching procedures as well as other relevant skills for effective teaching as they apply to student learning and educational administration.
The Post Graduate Diploma in Education’s objectives are as follows:
- Enable students to acquire subject-specific knowledge as well as other relevant pedagogical skills for primary and secondary school teaching through supervised internship/monitoring, provide an avenue for the development of practical skills in the school setting
- Makes it possible for students to use formal and informal assessment strategies to evaluate learners and ensure the learner’s ongoing intellectual, social, and physical development
- Allow students to apply knowledge of effective verbal, nonverbal, and multi-media communication techniques in the classroom to promote active learning and interaction among students.
This program is administered by the Faculty of Education. The Postgraduate Diploma in Education program is designed for graduates from other disciplines who do not hold a professional teaching qualification but are interested in or are currently working in education.
PGDE Admission Requirements
- Candidates must have a minimum of 5 O’level credits in either art or design. Commercial or scientific courses are available.
- Applicants with a Higher National Diploma and a minimum credit grade
- Candidates must have a first degree with a minimum of a third class grade or, in some other universities, a minimum of a second class lower division from any accredited and recognized university by the National Universities Commission.
- Candidates must have credit passes in Mathematics and English Language at the O’level level.
- Applicants for the Postgraduate Diploma in Education programme must have a first degree (BA/ B.Sc/ B.Ed/ B.Sc (Ed)/ B.A (Ed)) or an HND (Higher National Diploma) or its equivalent in languages, social sciences, basic sciences, or other related disciplines.
- Candidate must complete the UTME requirements for the year or meet the school’s cut off.
- Some universities only offer the Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) on a full-time basis to candidates with degrees in approved teaching subjects. The program is available in the evenings and on weekends.
SEE ALSO: STU-VIEW GBC: Useful Guide to Access STUVIEW GBC Portal
General Requirements for Admission to Postgraduate Studies
- Candidates for admission must have five credit passes in “O” Level examinations, including English language and Mathematics, as well as other relevant subjects. Candidates seeking admission to any Nigerian university’s Master’s Degree or Postgraduate Diploma must have a good (first or second class) Honours Degree from a university recognized by the National Universities Commission. The Postgraduate Diploma in Education does not require a first degree in a subject related to the program for which admission is sought.
- Candidates with professional qualifications (HND) must have five GCE or WASC credits, including English. Every faculty has the authority to conduct examinations and tests and to admit students based on the results of these examinations.
- Graduates of universities accredited by the National Universities Commission are eligible to apply for any PGD form at any Nigerian university.
- Candidates with degrees other than a Bachelor’s Degree, such as C.P.A., BEEC, ICAN, ACMA, ACCA, and A.I.B., can also apply and be considered for admission to a Post Graduate Diploma in Education.
- Transcripts of degree results are required for all admissions.
Duration for PGDE Programme
The PGDE programme at some universities lasts 15 calendar months, with 12 months of theoretical course work and three months of internship in schools/colleges.
Certification Obtained After PGDE Programme
A graduate receives a Postgraduate Diploma in Education upon completion of the course.
Jobs Openings for Scholars with PGDE
What Jobs can be attained with a Postgraduate Diploma in Education?
- School Teacher
- Educational Administrator
- Education Research Specialist
- Elementary Education Specialist
Education Institution Offering a Postgraduate Diploma (PGDE)
- Niger State College of Education, Minna
- University of Uyo, Uyo
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi
- University of Benin, Benin City
- Taraba State University, Jalingo
- Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Cross River University of Technology, Calabar
- Bayero University, Kano
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- National Teachers Institute, Kaduna
- National Open University of Nigeria(NOUN)
SCHOLARSHIP FOR YOU! AMBOSS Scholarship: How to Apply and Win Scholarship
How to Enroll for PGDE
Step #1: To begin the admissions process, go to the University’s admission portal.
Step #2: Create an application fee payment invoice.
Step #3: After making a successful payment, go to the nearest study center with copies of the application form to finish the admissions process.
APPLY FOR PG SCHOLARSHIPS! AGBU Scholarship
Options for PGDE Payment
Most institutions accept payment via the following means:
- Deposit in a bank (via Remita)
- Online (via Remita)
Watch this video to learn how to apply for PGDE programmes abroad (at Strathclyde) –